The Prayers of Fatima
As we continue into this centenary year in remembrance of the warnings, messages and miracles connected with Our Lady of Fatima, it is good to remember that we were given 5 special prayers. The apparitions of an angel and Our Lady to three poor children in Fatima, Portugal in 1917 are the most famous miracles in the Catholic world. The children received many messages, mostly calling for personal conversion and prayer, as well as the Words of 5 New Prayers. The first prayer is one many Catholics are likely already familiar with, but the other 4 are not as well-known. I would like to present these 5 prayers given to the children at Fatima for our capture and use.
1) The Fatima Prayer/Decade Prayer: “O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need of Thy mercy. Amen.” Mary told the children that people should add this prayer to the end of each decade of the Rosary.
2) The Pardon Prayer: “My God, I believe, I adore, I hope and I love Thee! I beg pardon for all those that do not believe, do not adore, do not hope and do not love Thee.” This prayer was given to the children by the angel that visited them in 1916, the year before Mary appeared to them.
3) The Angel’s Prayer: “O Most Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, I adore Thee profoundly. I offer Thee the most precious Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ present in all the tabernacles of the world, in reparation for the outrages, sacrileges and indifferences by which He is offended. By the infinite merits of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary I beg the conversion of poor sinners.” This is another prayer given to them by the angel. There was a Eucharistic host and chalice suspended in the air, and the angel led them in kneeling before it, and then praying this prayer.
4) The Eucharistic Prayer: “Most Holy Trinity, I adore Thee! My God, my God, I love Thee in the Most Blessed Sacrament.” When Mary appeared to the children for the first time on May 13, 1917, she said, “You will have much to suffer, but the grace of God will be your comfort.” According to Lucia, one of the children, a bright light shone all around them, and without thinking about it, they all started reciting this prayer.
5) The Sacrifice Prayer: “O Jesus, it is for the love of Thee, in reparation for the offenses committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary, and for the conversion of poor sinners [that I do this].” Mary gave the children this prayer, as well as the Fatima Prayer/Decade Prayer, on June 13th, 1917. The prayer is meant to be recited whenever you are offering up some suffering to God. This is a good one to memorize and use often.
Now, many Catholics are knowledgeable that Mary appeared to the three poor children in Fatima, Portugal in 1917. But not many know about the angel that visited the children before Mary. In 1916, the year before Mary appeared to them, the children, Lucia, Jacinta, and Francisco, were leading their families’ flocks out to pasture when an angel appeared to them.
“We began to see,” Lucia later wrote in her memoirs, “in the distance, above the trees that stretched to the east, a light whiter than snow in the form of a young man, quite transparent, and as brilliant as crystal in the rays of the sun.” The angel spoke to them: “Do not be afraid. I am the angel of peace. Pray with me.” He and the children knelt down, and they repeated after the angel, prayer #2 above: “My God, I believe, I adore, I hope, and I love You…” When they finished, the angel said this before vanishing: “Pray in this way. The hearts of Jesus and Mary are ready to listen to you.” We would all do well to do like-wise.
Then, on another day, the same angel appeared to them a second time. Again, he exhorted them to prayer: “What are you doing? You must pray! Pray! The hearts of Jesus and Mary have merciful designs for you. You must offer your prayers and sacrifices to God, the Most High.” When the children asked what sacrifices they should make, the angel explained: “In every way you can offer sacrifice to God in reparation for the sins by which He is offended, and in supplication for sinners. In this way you will bring peace to our country, for I am its guardian angel, the Angel of Portugal. Above all, bear and accept with patience the sufferings God will send you.”
And then, a third time, the angel appeared to them – this time holding a Bleeding Eucharistic Host over a chalice. Leaving the host and chalice floating in the air, the angel knelt and led them in a new prayer (#3 above): “O Most Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, I adore You profoundly…”
The angel then gave the host and chalice to the children saying, “Eat and drink the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, terribly outraged by the ingratitude of men. Offer reparation for their sakes and console God.”
Then he vanished, never to appear again. Little did the children know, that this angel was just the prelude to the famous Marian apparitions they would receive the following year in 1917.
Let us all wisely clip and memorize these 5 prayers and pray them often in response to the pleadings of our Blessed Lady of Fatima. These and our daily Rosary, are indeed “What the World Needs Now!”
May your summer be richly blessed,